As of July 2012, here are the Permissions required by our app to function and why we need them:
- YouMail uses these permissions to request authentication tokens, so that we know who you say you are.
SERVICES THAT COST YOU MONEY
- This permission allows YouMail to dial the special code that forwards your missed calls only to YouMail’s access number. Due to carrier restrictions, we cannot copy or store any of YouMail's voicemails onto your carrier inbox, which is why we need to send the actual missed calls to us.
- This service won’t cost you anything if
- (a) you have a plan with enough minutes to cover the forwarding
- (b) your plan includes long distance. (True of most cell phone users in the US)
- This permission allows access to the audio record path, so you can create and record your own greetings.
- It also lets you select where YouMail audio goes (handset, speaker, headset/bluetooth) from within the app.
- YouMail uses full Internet access so the app passes voicemails, greetings, and other information back and forth with our servers.
- YouMail can create BlueTooth connections if you direct YouMail's audio to BlueTooth devices within the app settings.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- YouMail can read contact data, so that you can explicitly upload contacts to YouMail.
- YouMail can write contact data, so that you can add contacts to YouMail that are then reflected in your phone’s contact list, including name, phone number, e-mail address, and image. This also ensures a complete call blocking experience, when you ditch someone on YouMail.
- YouMail can read phone state and identity so that it can figure out your phone number to simplify sign up, log in, and send in error logs if the app is malfunctioning. This also ensures a complete call blocking experience, when you ditch someone on YouMail.
- YouMail can modify/delete USB/SD storage, so that you can write and store voicemails and greetings on your SD card.
- YouMail has the ability to prevent the device from sleeping so it can finish operations, like downloading voicemails from our servers.
- YouMail has the ability to write sync settings, so it can add YouMail as an additional service whose data is synced with your contacts.
COARSE (NETWORK-BASED) and LOCATION FINE (GPS-BASED) LOCATION
- In order to help cover the costs of supporting a large, free user base, ads are displayed within the app
- These ads require knowing your location, so we can serve you local ads you'd actually be interested in. Rather than show completely useless ads, we aim for interesting and relevant.
- Want to get rid of them and not have the app ever access your location permissions? Upgrade to YouMail Ad-Free!