If the app did not take you through the automatic YouMail activation process, you can follow these steps to manually setup YouMail.
- Open the YouMail app
- Tap the Menu (☰) icon on the top left corner of the screen
- Tap on Forward to YouMail
- Follow the instructions
- Then tap on Verify YouMail is Working to confirm that the forwarding is working properly
Remember, do NOT answer the verification call.
For more detailed instructions, check out our Help Center article on Verifying Activation.
Did the test call fail?
If the verification fails, then your calls aren’t being forward to YouMail. There are several common reasons for this.
- You’re getting an MMI error. This means the carrier doesn’t support the * codes we have you dial on your type of phone. Usually you can fix this by finding the call forwarding settings on your phone and setting them to forward to the access number YouMail is trying to dial.
- You are on a prepaid plan and your carrier doesn’t support missed call forwarding on prepaid plans. An example of this is T-mobile and Metro PCS (for all but their most expensive tier). Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do about that, though you could switch to Ting or RedPocketMobile, both of which are low cost, good coverage, and support YouMail.
- Your carrier as a whole doesn’t support the missed call forwarding we rely on. Virgin Mobile is a good example of a carrier like that, as are some of the smaller carriers and MVNOs. Again, not much we can do – short of switching carriers.
- Your carrier doesn’t provide the information we need when calls are forwarded to us. This happens a lot in Canada, depending on where you live. If this is the case, you’ll get an OCN error from the verification process. You can fix this issue – but unfortunately, it requires a paid service where calls go through a path that doesn’t have this issue. Click here to learn more about the OCN error and how to fix it.
Once you’ve successfully activated YouMail, read through the latest Tips and How-To Guides to the get the most from your YouMail app!