Find out more about our award-winning blocking system here!
YouMail is a voicemail replacement service, so the general function of our blocking takes place on the voicemail level. Our system is designed to filter out spam messages based on the rating the number has on our directory site. Because of the YouMail app, we are able to integrate with your phone and create a ringless block in addition to voicemail filtering. If you use a landline or do not download the app, this is the farthest reach of our blocking – voicemail only. In the below sections, we will walk you through basic steps and troubleshooting to ensure you have YouMail's Call Protection working to its fullest extent!
- Download the app for the best spam-free experience! iOS / Android
- What and how calls are blocked depend on your YouMail Plan. Check out our plans here.
- A number must be labeled as spam in our directory or blocked on your account for it to be stopped.
Incoming calls listed as "Spam Likely" are labeled such by your carrier, not YouMail.
Required Conditions for Blocking
1. Blocking must be enabled. You can do so via the website Call Protection Settings OR via the app's Call Protection Settings.
2. The proper permissions and device settings must be enabled. This is different depending on the app.
3. The spam list on the device must be up to date.
4. The number must be listed as spam prior to the call.
5. The number cannot be listed as a YouMail contact
*Free subscribers have ringless experience for known spammers as long as these conditions apply. Spam messages will be filtered to the Spam folder.
*Paid Subscribers can have both ringless block and "Number Out of Service" message for known spammers as long as these conditions apply. If preferred, spammers can be filtered instead of blocked from leaving a voicemail. Check plans here.
Is it Spam?
- We acquire spam data from numerous sources, but the most important one is YOU! We rely on the spam reports from our subscribers to help us locate spammers that may not show up during our other methods of spam detection.
- Other sources for our spam data:
Other number directories
Spam message matching
EX: "Our records indicate you have an outstanding tax liability"
- In order for YouMail to protect you from spam, the number has to have been reported to our Directory.
- If you are troubleshooting an issue with spam calls reaching you, check its rating in our Directory.
Enabling Call Protection
- Choose how you want YouMail to handle calls directly from the website. Log into Youmail.com > on the left-hand panel select Call Protection > select Settings > select Edit > toggle Protect my inbox and calls from spam
- Choose how you want YouMail to handle calls from the apps.
iPhone: Select the shield icon at the bottom center of the app > select the three dots in the top right > select Protection Settings > toggle Protect my inbox and calls > Save
Android: Select the three bars in top left > select Spam Protection > toggle on Calls & Voicemail > select Protection Settings > toggle Protect my inbox and calls > Save
App and Device Permissions
You must have Call Blocking and Identification enabled in your iOS settings for us to create the ringless block.
- If you want to silence calls from unknown numbers or international calls you must also enable Do Not Disturb - Contacts Only: iOS Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb > Allowed Notifications: People > Calls From > All Contacts.
You must have Phone permissions enabled.
In the app, Directory should also be enabled: Select the three bars in the top left > select Settings > select Caller ID > select Directory > Toggle on.
Note: Some Android devices may have an auto-shut-off enabled for App Permissions, so it is important to toggle this off for YouMail.
Tips for New Subscribers
How to Block A Number From The Web
What is the YouMail Reverse Phone Lookup Directory?
|Not finding a resolution to your issue? Submit a request here! We'd love to get your issue resolved.