So you have a phone number that you want to hold onto and you want to port it from your carrier over to YouMail. Once you port the number over, it will act as an Extra Line number. Because of this, you have to be on the YouMail Plus or Professional plan to port in a number. For more information about the Extra Line, check out this article.
Please be aware: During the porting process, you must continue to pay your provider's bill in order to keep the number active. We can finish porting the number if it's inactive but you won't be able to receive calls if they deactivate the line.
In order to port a number, we'll just need the following information:
- Your Full Name
- The number to be ported
- Your Address
- Your YouMail account number (Our Support Team will fill this in for you)
- Your carrier's 4 digit pin. (This is only needed for major mobile carriers such as ATT, Verizon etc... You will need to contact the carrier for this information)
- The Last 4 of SSN or EIN.
- A copy of the last bill from carrier with the following info:
- Name on carrier's bill
- Business Name on carrier's bill (If applicable)
- Address on carrier's bill
- Carriers account number
- If this number is from Google Voice, customers need to release the number and pay the fee to Google. (As of the time of this writing, the fee is $3)
Once you've gathered this information, contact our Support Team at email@example.com and we'll begin the process of contacting your carrier and porting the number over.
Porting requests vary depending upon the carrier. The porting process can take anywhere between 3 days to 2 weeks depending on the carrier. The best way to speed up the process is by making sure the information you give to our Support Team is accurate.
- MagicJack: The carrier's 4 digit PIN is the same as your password to login to your web account. In order us to port your number, you'll need to login into your MagicJack account and change your password to a 6 digit number that DOES NOT start with 0.
- Vonage: This carrier doesn't like releasing their numbers. They typically drag their feet and take days to reply to emails.
- ALL CANADA NUMBERS: All Canada based carrier's require information to be manually entered so it will take at a minimum of 2 weeks.